welcome to our community in the heart of Surrey!

Shalford Cemetery Chapel

shalford-cemetery-chapel

Shalford cemetery and the cemetery chapel came into use in 1887 after several years of planning , following a decision in 1880 that the churchyard at St Mary’s Church was full. The cemetery and the chapel are located on land known as the Kiln Field purchased from the Godwin-Austen Estate for £555. In 1885 the architects Peak, Lunn and Peak of Guildford were instructed to draw up plans for the cemetery site and the chapel. The builders Mitchell Brothers of Shalford were engaged to bring the project to fruition. The budget of the Burial Board was £1700 and without the support of John Thomson Renton of Bradstone Brook, the wealthiest man in the parish, the cemetery and chapel would not have come into being at that time. The total cost of the project was £2,776 and 17 shillings, the shortfall being met by Mr Renton.

shalford-cemetery-chapel-inside
shalford-cemetery-chapel-door
shalford-cemetery-chapel-window

Since then the cemetery and chapel have served the parish of Shalford well, still providing a place of rest for local people today. The cemetery chapel was little used by the early 1970’s and fell into a state of disrepair. However the unique style and character of the building means that it has merited a Grade 2 listing and as its custodians the Parish Council are responsible for the upkeep of this local landmark. In this Jubilee year 125 years after it was first opened the Parish Council propose to bring the chapel back to life by embarking on a restoration project to provide a Parish Council office and a meeting place for the local community.

The Cemetery Chapel opened on Sunday 3rd June as part of the jubilee Big Lunch celebrations for anyone to have a look inside. The Parish Councils are busy trying to raise the funds to make this project possible and welcome the support of the local population. If you would like to know more about the plans for the chapel come along on Sunday to have a look or contact the Parish Clerk on 01483 459108 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Our thanks to Margaret Dierden for the historical background information.